CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 19, 2010

On the Subject of Socks

Since I just placed another order at the ever-amazing Sock Dreams site, I figured it would be appropriate to finally write my first post on the subject. (Well, the title of this blog IS "Kat in Socks," after all!) So I'll start with a confession:

My name is Kat, and I'm obsessed with socks. This may sound like hyperbole, but given the filled-to-overflowing state of my sock drawers, I suspect it's pretty close to the truth. I started collecting socks when I was about twelve. They were mostly cutesy novelty socks with patterns all over them. Socks like this:



Did I actually wear these socks to school and everything? Why yes, yes I did. Not everyone noticed them, since they weren't especially visible beneath the cuffs of my ever-present jeans. Still, I soon became known among my friends as the girl who liked weird socks. Bit by bit, my collection grew, and before I knew it I had several dozen pairs.

I'm not sure why I started collecting socks in the first place. It probably had something to do with the artist in me. I've always loved bright colors and interesting patterns, but at that age I wasn't brave enough to wear them openly. I had a secret fear of "clashing," since I was trained since childhood to err on the side of caution when it came to matching clothes. Since my socks weren't as visible, I felt freer to wear them in all the bold, bright colors I loved. My socks became a creative outlet, a way of covertly expressing myself. They were my one act of rebellion against the ordinary, hidden beneath my otherwise conservative clothing. (Bear in mind I was a shy, insecure, rule-following bookworm at the time!)

Now that I'm older, I don't care as much about what other people think of my clothes. It's nice to get compliments, but I wear my outfits for me-- knee socks, fingerless gloves, newsboy caps and all. That said, I still have an obsession with socks. My tastes have changed a bit over the years; I no longer crave novelty socks with bright patterns the way I once did, though I still buy a few pairs here and there. My new favorites are the neon-colored cuties pictured below, made by the awesome company Sock It to Me. (Why are these my favorites? One word: MANATEES.)



These days, I prefer to buy socks in unusual lengths and textures. I wear skirts more often, usually for the express purpose of showing them off. At the moment, my favorite socks are a black pair I bought at a store in Las Vegas, which are also being sold here at Sock Dreams (though they're currently out of the black ones): http://www.sockdreams.com/products/sock-collections/victoriana/button-ribbed-otk. They're soft and stretchy and breathe well. Plus, the design is perfect. Buttons and vertical ribbing? Yes, please!

In summary, I love socks. A lot. It's been years since I've counted how many pairs I have, but I keep all the unusual ones, even when they start getting holes in them. At the same time, I keep buying new ones. It seems like there's a neverending supply of new styles and colors for me to try. (And I never buy only one pair at a time! They're like potato chips; I can't stop at one. One quickly turns into two, two turns into ten, and so on.) I've become something of a sock connoisseur, a sock enthusiast-- nay, a sock fanatic. Wearing odd socks is one of my favorite modes of self-expression, a way of adding just a little more color and creativity to my life.

So my name is Kat, and I am a passionate wearer of socks.

Well, now you know how this blog got its name! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment